I would like to welcome you to where we are "Making Gettys Great." At Gettys Middle School, through the support of our families and community, we achieve academic excellence by providing our students with a professional staff that set high expectations for students learning and development. Since 1962 this tradition of excellence has been the heart of the Easley community and remains so today. Come experience Gettys Greatness and the school that thousands of families have chosen for their child's education.
Recent highlights and activities from the Home of the Breakers include:
- Academic Excellence: SC Ready results that outperformed 63% of all middle schools in South Carolina. The SC Report Card increased to the highest level in ten years based on our PASS results.
- Rigorous Curriculum: High School Credits offered in English I, Algebra I, Google Basics, Digital Literacy, Multimedia Basics, and Virtual School courses. Advanced Math offered in all grades as well as Gifted and Talented English.
- Results-Driven: Previous years growth rating on the SC Report Card awarded our school our second consecutive Palmetto Silver Award.
- High Expectations: Record enrollments in the National Junior Honor Society, BETA club, Duke TIP award winners and South Carolina Junior Scholars.
- Award Winning Students: 2016 national AT&T Connected Nation Device Grant for tablets with internet connections. 2016 Safe Kids Award Winner. 2012 and 2013 national Promising Practices Award winner. 2012 and 2013 SDPC Lt. Governor's Writing Award Winner. 2011 SC Dialogue Writing Winners. 2010 State Writing Winner with Champions of the Environment Essay. 2010 District Writing Winner. 2009 Top Middle School Student in SC with NASSP Prudential Community Service Award Winner. 2008 State Geography Bee Winner. 2007 Best Overall Science Fair Project of middle schools in Anderson-Oconee-Pickens County. Soil and Water Conservation Essay Winners. Academic Competitions offered in Geography Bee, Spelling Bee, Math Counts, and Robotics technology.
- Award Winning Staff: Six National Board Certified Teachers. SDPC Teacher of the Year. Young Music Educator Teacher of the Year. Upstate Literacy Teacher and Administrator of the Year. SC Dialogue Foundation Teacher of the Year. 2014 and 2007 WYFF Golden Apple Award Winners, South Carolina International Reading Council Winners, 2006 SC Family and Consumer Science Teacher of the Year, Math Presidential Award Winner, and SDPC Support Employee of the Year.
- Student Wellness: National Men's Health Fit School Winner and focus on physical fitness. Named to SC All-Health Team. ING Grant Award Winner for Christmas Cruise 5K Run/Walk. Character Education Program rating increased to an Excellent SC rating.
- Enriching Fine Arts: Award Winning Instrumental Music, Chorus, and Strings Programs. Outstanding Band Program Award 2011 and 2012.
- Extracurricular Activities: 2009 and 2008 Region Championships for Football. Competitive sports-Football, Volleyball, Basketball, and Cheerleading. Our students also participate in sports at Easley High School. Clubs include National History Club, Robotics Club, Breaker Buddies, and MathCounts Club.
- Celebrating Success: Gettys Greatness Grade Level Awards Programs, Presidential Academic Excellence Awards, Team Celebrations for showing MAPS progress, Character Students of the Month program, daily Student Recognition of greatness and acts of kindness.
- Family and Community Support: 2009-2012 Red Carpet Award Winner for family-friendly environment. 2009 SC Governor's Volunteer Award Winner. PTCO organization, Breaker Buddies Mentoring Program, Middle Passage Program with Clemson University Call Me Mister, Faith-Based Organizations partnership.
Thank you for visiting our website and we invite your input and assistance in "Making Gettys Great."
Mike Cory, Principal